Monday, October 6, 2008

My Trip

Index
As my trip is closing, I am filled with many thoughts. I had heard many stories of old, which is very fascinating to me. I hope to keep them in my memory bank which I will access and blog as I have time.

I have never imagined that I would spend this much time writing. If I did not write I could not possibly keep all the things that has passed through my mind, and all the memories from my childhood that has surfaced. I am glad I had this opportunity. I also discovered where lot of my tendencies, drives, and intense needs came from. For Koreans, certain traits must be in their DNA. In the women I encountered, I saw myself, much more so than in American women I have spent most of my life with.

I am so grateful that my mother was able to experience Korea and revisit her past with her siblings. I have never seen her laugh like I have seen her laugh here with her siblings. I have seen her become a young girl taken care of by her older sister. She actually acts like a little sister. My aunt Won Suk used to take care of mother and do all the cooking while they were in DaeGu living away from home to go to school. Mother tells me that she won't be coming back again. All her desire and dream to revisit Korea and siblings have been full filled. She is too old to do this much traveling again. She is so glad that her children pressed her to come but her home is where her children and grandchildren are.

1 comment:

Curiosity said...

What a beautiful story and description. I had some similar deja vu when I first visited the Netherlands, where my family had immigrated from. Certain understandings just clicked into place. Thank you for sharing your wonderful adventure. I am sad, though, that your mother must be so separated from her own family.

Donna