Sunday, October 5, 2008

Cab Drivers

Index
We had so much fun talking to cabbies. It is here you can hear how people live and work. Also they are the first to experience the change in the trends of age.

Cabbie #1: At one time he was in a corporate world traveling to US frequently. Then came a forced early retirement. At his age (probably late 50s or early 60s) no jobs were available to him. He became a cabbie. As a person who demanded respect and deep bowing from others, suddenly he was at a servant level. Even young person talked to him with no respect. He began to see the world from another angle. He grieves for young of today who has lost the traditional respect for elders. He is so glad that he was able to send his children to school while he had good income. He is planning on writing a book.

Cabbie #2: Regarding economy for cabbies, he said, "We live to die.There is no money to be earned. Whether I work or not, after paying for fuel there is nothing left. Look at Choi, Jin Suk a well known actress. She committed suicide. Whether you have money all not, we all live to die." My mother and aunt were shocked. She was adored by many.

Cabbie #3: He picked up five of us. My uncle Sang-Jeng, his wife, my aunt Won-Suk, my mother and I. He said "If police catches me, I am done for. Fine is $400 US. (There is cab limit of only four passengers.)" My little aunt said, "Tell me when you see police so I could slide down." We laughed so hard. My aunt said."We are showing our sister and her daughter Korea after 42 years." He looked at four elderly and one middle aged(me). He said, "Time is changing. In my company we have one 84 years old cabbie."

No comments: